Friday, February 17, 2006

The Quick Finned & Gone


Wow, Dolphins are tough subjects to photograph. They refuse to pose on command, they only give you a split second to work with and they leave without any notice what so ever. How rude, really!

We went on Mike's Dolphin Tour while on the Island. An hour long trip around the bend and home again. We saw 6 Dolphins, 2 different packs of 3 traveling along, playing & eating. These here were the eaters, they came up from the water 2 or 3 times then would disappear for a good long while. The other set were the most entertaining, they were jumping clean out of the water, the captain of the boat said the water wasn't right for getting close to them. Frankly it just seemed as though he didn't want to because there were a good many shrimping boats driving right by them with no problems at all.
We sailed out to the point beside the Tybee Island Lighthouse then returned to port, it was fun all the same, at least we got some up close photos of the little white lighthouse, so that made it all worth it. That was the first time I've been on a boat in a really long time. I guess I was maybe 8 or 10 yrs old the last time. I went with my Grandpa and my uncle Dee on a fishing trip to Alabama. My uncle drove and it felt like we were going at least 80 mph. The boat was skipping across the water and I just knew that any minute we'd crash and die or at the very least, I'd bounce out and knowone would notice. I was thanking God when we finally got back to the shore and had no urge thereafter to setting foot on another boat. I'm pleased to say that this ride was much more enjoyable, to say the least! On a side note: The tiny little mass of land that the lighthouse sits upon is an oyster rich environment, meaning if you eat them, there is a good chance they came from there. Now don't you feel ashamed, poor little guys just sitting there enjoying the cool breeze and the sunny day, then WHAM, they're snatched up, cooked and eaten by you... for shame!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home