Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Trip to the Barnyard ended with the ER


My niece Summer has been throwing a fit to go see the movie Barnyard. So seeing as today was her last day of freedom before she starts school tomorrow, I decided to take her. For the first time since the original Bambi was released, my Grandmother decided to come along to the movies. I had a funny feeling it was because the movies were right next door to the Golden Corral though ;o)

Anywho, we saw the movie, which was pretty good, slightly predictable, a little low, but on with the story... When the lights came up and we started for the exit, Summer decided to just keep going down steps and not really realizing that she'd past the exit, my grandma followed. Well, said she didn't see the first step so she stepped without realizing she was going down and hurt her knee. She couldn't put any weight on it and seeing how the joint was empty, I had to get her from the rail by the wall to a chair without killing her or me. She said she'd thought she'd only sprained it and that she'd be alright in a few minutes. I went for the manager, an old lady called for her and said "some little boy here says his grandma bumped her leg." Which wasn't what I said at all, but I guess if you can mistake me for a "little boy" you could mis-hear a thing or two. Well there wasn't a wheelchair in the place and the only way to get her up would be to call the paramedics. When they arrived they told us that she actually hadn't sprained her knee, she had dislocated her kneecap. Needless to say, we went to the ER.

Once there, she was x-rayed only to find that her kneecap wasn't dislocated, she had actually broken her Tibia at the ball joint. Judging by what they saw on the x-ray, the area was already cracked, which is what has most likely caused her pain in her knee for the last year and she just didn't know it. She was fitted with a complete leg splint, sentenced to a wheelchair and told not to apply any pressure for at least 4 weeks and even then, very little. The break should take at least 8 weeks to heal and may require physical therapy afterward to regain mobility. The real fun began when we tried getting her into the car. On the way home we stopped and picked up a roast beef sandwich which apparently didn't settle well and made her sick to the point where she talked to ralph for a while, the poor thing. With zero use of her left leg and very little ability to support herself solely with her right leg, I'd say we could sure use a few bodybuilders to come help us out.

All in all, a horrible night. It's after midnight and I'm plum pooped and I still have to get ready for my trip to Atlanta tomorrow. I have a wedding interview and an engagement shoot, unless the rain decides to call it off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home